Friday, April 3, 2015

My imaginary friend

It is kind of a funny little trick of current circumstances that most of the time I spend sewing is actually time in my head spent imagining my next steps, plotting projects, or researching things online.  Being able to sneak in an hour or two of actual sewing time of an evening is totally unpredictable so in the meantime, sewing is more like my imaginary friend.
Meet my imaginary friend, Sewing!  She is AWESOME.  She’s full of super interesting stories and adventures, knows a lot of cool people, is constantly surprising me, and can make time zip by in a flash.  She has a wicked sense of style that’s never the same from one day to the next, and her presence on social media is wildly entertaining.  Also, she always sees the best in me – in my imagination, the things I sew are flawless and comfortable and exactly what I had in mind every time!
My one tiny little complaint is that Sewing never seems to get tired.  There I am, dragging my tired self off to bed at the end of a long hustle and bustle, and there she is, tweaking my mind with more questions:  how *do* you sew with stripes?  What is a good lining for silk voile?  Is that new fabric place in Deep Ellum online yet?  When are they open?
It can be very hard to go to sleep at a reasonable bedtime, an hour that will allow me to sleep enough to pop awake at 5.30 a.m. tomorrow like I need to, when Sewing is pushing me to look things up online and twist certain things in my head to see what they’ll do.
In that regard she has a lot in common with my other good friends Books, Instagram and Melissa.

No comments:

Post a Comment